The history of construction of Chitgar lake goes back to the codification of first comprehensive plan for Tehran City in 1347 (1968). In this plan construction of a lake in western area of the city was predicted but the construction operation of this lake was abandoned for years due to technical restrictions and lack of financial supports. Eventually, detailed studies of this project were done by a consulting group between year 1382 and 1389 (2003-2010).
In 1389 (2009) the construction operation of the lake was started and from 2012 construction operation of coastal zone was started by Sabir Co according to the designs of Sad Tunnel Pars Consulting Engineers (STUCKY Pars Co.). The opening of the first phase of this lake was done in 2013 under the name of Persian Gulf Martyrs.
After finishing the first phase, the second phase was started to construct 4 islands, axis of Chaharbagh, Aquatic park and Chitgar monorail in a field with an area of 1,400,000 square meters.